Standards & Specifications, ASD/AIA S1000D, MIL-STD
Contact DTB to help you deal with the complexities of compliance to standards such as S1000D.
MIL-STD-167-1 details the mechanical vibration testing requirements for shipboard equipment.
MIL-STD-810 deals with environmental engineering considerations and laboratory tests, which include shock testing and vibration testing. MIL-STD-810 covers a range of environmental testing procedures and standards that DTB is fully equipped to provide. Sections corresponding to our vibration testing services are:
- MIL-STD-810 F Method 513.4 Acceleration (constant acceleration)
- MIL-STD-810 F Method 516.4 Shock (Shock Response Spectrums, or Triangle/sine/square wave shocks – also transportation shock)
- MIL-STD-810 F Method 520.1 Temp, Humidity, Vibration (Traditionally sine wave pre D) – later random vibration – combined with Temperature Testing)
MIL-S-901 details high-impact shock testing requirements for shipboard machinery, equipment, structures and systems. The purpose of these MIL-S-901 requirements is to verify the ability of shipboard installations to withstand shock loadings, which may be incurred due to the effects of nuclear or conventional weapons.
Have standards risen over the past 50 years? Think S1000D!
Yes, and not only in their goals, but in complexity and the number of requirements to consider. Regulatory agencies have proliferated with their requirements, S1000D is de facto, and all have added a new layer to satisfying already demanding work requirements.
Not surprisingly, standards and requirements of governmental, military and authoritative agencies can be somewhat complex. Satisfying these standards is often problematic and, for the team inexperienced with authoring to spec, delays and re-dos can become time and resource-consuming realities.
DTB has prepared documentation, illustrations, enabled information systems, performed analysis and reporting for very diverse base of customer types.
Many of our projects over the last 50 years have been for U.S. and allied military and government agencies. We have been heavily involved with aviation and aerospace information and logistics systems, even participating in developing some of the standards in use today.
ASD/AIA S1000D Management
Until recently, S1000D was primarily used for technical publications supporting the European aerospace community, and has been widely used across Europe for several years.
In the US, the S1000D standard continues to be adopted by a growing number of both military and commercial industry groups. S1000D is an international specification for the acquisition and production of technical publications. Organizations that analyze their content creation and management processes, often find adopting a technical content standard is the first step toward reducing inefficiencies. Content standards provide consistency and offer more opportunity for data sharing.
The S1000D specification touches upon virtually every aspect of product logistics:
- Product structure – product’s logical representation in configuration management and control program
- Product information – manuals, guides, parts catalogs, IPBs, to name a few
- Product provisioning – parts, kits, lifecycle management, obsolescence, and others
DTB has made a significant commitment to the advancement of the S1000D specification. We’re an active member of AIA (Aerospace Industries Association), a proponent and steering organization for implementation of S1000D. This allows us to contribute to steering activities, as well as to attend all public sessions of the S1000D steering committee. It also provides up-to-date information on the development of S1000D Business Rules and progress related to the adoption of this specification by DoD and commercial US and Foreign organizations.
An S1000D Knowledgeable Partner on Your Side — DTB can be your partner for the effective management of an S1000D integration or conversion project. We have performed successful information conversion projects to a S1000D CSDB (common source database) from a variety of sources. We are ready to help our clients decipher the S1000D specification and implement an S1000D-compliant product and information architecture.
S1000D Consulting Services — We can assist you in understanding the ramifications associated with making various business choices relating to S1000D, DTB offers the following consulting services;
- Writing and developing S1000D business rules to support your projects
- Presenting the fundamentals of S1000D to your organization to promote buy-in
- Analyzing your customer’s data requirements
- Interviewing key disciplines to determine in-house capability
- Assessing in-house information systems and technologies
- Implementing an S1000D capability in your company