Arms, Armaments, Armor & Ammunition Testing
Contact DTB to learn more of our ordnance testing services and facilities.
All Types of Ballistic Testing — Including Shooting Range Services
DTB’s 100m indoor shooting range is here to support your ammunition and component testing, and our test equipment meets SAAMI specifications.
In addition to our facilities, Dayton T. Brown offers very experienced engineering and testing capabilities. With over 60 years of experience DTB is able to provide NDT inspections, real-time environmental testing, product improvement and engineering evaluations.
Small and Medium Caliber Weapons Testing
Our 100m Indoor Shooting Range provides real time environmental testing for small and medium caliber weapons. Our test equipment meets minimum SAAMI/ANSI specs and you can make sure your weapons perform with the reliability, functionality, velocity and accuracy they need when used in adverse conditions.
We offer the following weapons testing and weapons evaluation services:
- High Volume Proof testing of handgun rifle components
- R&D, Test and Evaluation – reliability, failure analysis, fatigue, extreme environmental performance
- Barrel Coating Model Analysis and Durability Test
- 100M Accuracy Testing – barrels to minimum SAAMI spec
- Weapons Durability and Functionality Testing
- Weapons Failure Analysis and Improvement Programs
- Weapon Accessory Evaluation(shot counter, laser sights, scopes, tactical lights, recoil systems)
- Metallurgical Evaluation
- Polymer/Composite Evaluation
- Real time environmental testing
Tests for corrosion, ruggedness and lubricant compatibility will help you determine the operational life of your weapon. DTB’s expertise in the field of Engineering and Testing will help you perform a full evaluation of your weapons performance and provide you with product improvement considerations.
Recoil Test & Analysis
- Customized for any model small arms weapon
- Pistols, Rifles
- Tri-axial acceleration
- Strain gauging
- Velocity & displacement measurements
- High speed camera work
When you come to DTB, you know that your product is being tested with efficiency and reliability all under one roof. Our 100m indoor shooting range is here to support your ammunition and component testing needs, and our test equipment meet the minimum SAAMI Spec requirements. What makes DTB stand apart from the rest is our unique engineering and testing background. With over 60 years of experience DTB is able to provide NDT inspections, real-time environmental testing, product improvement and engineering evaluations.
|Ammunition Research and Development
Ammunition Testing Standards:
- SAAMI Z299.1, Pressure and velocity of rimfire sporting ammunition for the use of commercial manufacturers, 1992
- SAAMI Z299.2, Pressure and velocity of shotshell ammunition of the use of commercial manufacturers, 1992
- SAAMI Z299.3, Pistol and revolver ammunition of the use of commercial manufacturers, pressure and velocity of centerfire, 1993
- MIL DTL 1217, Cartridge, caliber .30: armor piercing – M2, version D
- MIL DTL 3066, Cartridge, caliber .50, armor piercing incendiary – M8; and armor piercing incendiary tracer – M20, version D
- MIL P 3984 Propellant for small arms ammunition
|Recoil Test & Analysis
Law Enforcement Training
Our indoor 100M shooting range facility can be equipped to support law enforcement for all training needs. With a 24/7 facility for training purposes, securing time for training is more convenient and flexible for the working Law enforcement agent.
Our low light/no light firing range offers an alternative training setting for weapons and accessories in a controlled environment. Here at DTB we work with you to provide a facility that can assist with your training needs.
DTB offers an opportunity for you to demonstrate your products at our facility. With a meeting room that can hold up to 200 visitors, convenient location for tri-state law enforcement, high speed video and complete demo prep assistance we can help your product get the recognition it deserves.
Whether it is weapons, armor, ammo or vehicles DTB has the perfect setting to display your products.
Indoor Shooting Range Services
Dayton T. Brown, an ISO 9001 and AS9100 registered engineering and testing lab, has expanded its services, now offering a fully functional ballistics testing 100 meter indoor shooting range, in addition to our 15yd underground range. Our 32 acre site is located 45 minutes from NYC and 5 minutes from Islip Macarthur airport, making the location convenient for any type of travel.
With over 60 years of experience with engineering and testing DTB is able to provide in condition environmental simulation testing, failure investigation, first article inspections, life cycle and durability, dynamics and vibration, design and program engineering, static and fatigue testing, prototyping and metallurgical engineering.
This background gives us the ability to provide efficient and effective management of your small arms and ballistics testing programs from start to finish.
Whether the weapon is handheld, shoulder fired or crew served, in calibers ranging from .22 to .50 (medium caliber weapons considered upon review), our indoor shooting range facility is ready. DTB can perform endurance, reliability, accuracy, functional, fit check, wear evaluations and proof testing on your equipment.
Some of the indoor range services we offer include:
- Small and Medium Caliber Weapons Testing
- Testing Under Environmental Extremes
- Opaque Armor Engineering and Testing
- Complete Armored Vehicle Evaluations
- Law Enforcement Training
- Product Demos for Tri-state Law Enforcement
- Ammunition Testing and Development
- Unique Engineering Services
- Research and Development Projects
- NIJ 0101.06 Body Armor Testing
Safeguarding and accountability for small arms and ballistics testing programs are essential which is why DTB’s shooting range services meet all Federal, State and Local licensing requirements.
Our indoor shooting range facility is compliant and approved by the DOD for:
- DOD Manual 5100.76
- DOD Manual 4145.26
- DOD Manual 5220.22M
- FAR Part 45- Government property
We maintain on site all the support range services necessary to make your small arms and ammunition testing quick and efficient. Testing indoors provides privacy, security and competitive advantage to our customers. All you need to do is schedule your project and show up with your test item. We can provide anything else you need to complete your test program with significant savings.
DTB follows a strict code of rules and regulations in order to keep our customers satisfied. Some of the testing standards we currently use include but are not limited to:
- ATPD 2352 for transparent armor
- MIL-P-48655AR Handgun testing
- TOPS 3-2-045 for Small Arms, Rifles and Machine-Guns
- MIL-STD 810
- MIL-STD 461
Armor Testing, Forced Entry Ballistic Resistance
NVLAP Accredited to NIJ 0101.06 and NIJ approved for NIJ 0101.06, Ballistic Resistance of Body Armor.
The NIJ (National Institute of Justice) has significantly revised their Ballistics Testing standard, NIJ 0101.06. Among the changes, it now calls for Environmental Conditioning Testing, in order to subject body armor to simulated conditions of heat, moisture, and mechanical damage.
Improvements in the standard are a result of an extensive engineering study to address real world conditions that can degrade body armor performance. The new NIJ 0101.06 standard takes into account the degradation of armor over time and includes specifications for mechanical agitation, humidity levels, water immersion, and temperature.
DTB stands apart from the rest by offering:
- Confirmation testing for Law Enforcement and Corrections agencies
- R&D testing for body armor manufacturers, including many additional R&D tests such as UV exposure, salt exposure, etc.
- Efficient testing services and quick turnaround time on your project
Transparent Armor / Bullet Proof Glass Testing and Evaluation
At DTB, we have recently expanded our optical testing capabilities and equipment. These new capabilities allow us to evaluate the optical properties of transparent armor after different environmental effects.
Environmental effects due to sand abrasion or solar radiation exposure (UV), etc. can significantly decrease the optical properties of bullet proof glass, turn plastics yellow, distort view, make armor brittle, and can affect its ballistic properties. Without visible clarity, occupants can potentially put themselves or others in harm’s way.
With new materials being engineered to make transparent armor lighter and safer, testing of the ballistic capabilities after different environmental situations is needed to make sure they meet the proper safety requirements.
Our expanded facility is equipped with a state-of-the-art Spectrophotometer that has enhanced NVG and haze capabilities with fully automated data acquisition to measure these effects on bullet proof glass.
DTB follows the ATPD 2352R standard to make sure your transparent armor meets all of the necessary requirements as outlined in the Purchase Specification for Transparent Armor.
We can provide all of your transparent armor / bullet proof glass testing requirements and evaluations such as:
DTB is able to generate the required temperature conditions for armor undergoing testing in our ballistics facility. DTB’s environmental test chambers allow armor to be immediately tested for ballistic resistance with no loss of time in a stable environment condition.
We have a wide range of environmental chambers that are suitable from components (individual pieces or lots), to an entire vehicle. With cutting edge accelerated life testing and post-test ballistic performance we are able to provide you with the rigorous testing you need all captured with high speed video. DTB also has an on-site fully functional optics lab that is used for a portion of ATPD 2352 testing.
- NIJ Standard 0108.01, Ballistic Resistant Protective Materials, September 1985
- STANAG 4569, Protection levels for occupants of logistic and light armoured vehicles, 1ED 2004
- UL 752, Bullet-Resisting Equipment, 11ED REV APR 2010
- MIL DTL 12560, Armor plate, steel, wrought, homogeneous (for use in combat-vehicles and for ammunition testing), version J
- MIL DTL 32262, Armor plate, aluminum alloy, unweldable appliqué 6061, Version 2007
- MIL DTL 32332, Armor plate,steel, wrought, ultra-high-hardness, version 2009
- MIL DTL 32333, Armor plate, magnesium alloy, AZ31B, appliqué, 2009
- MIL DTL 45225, Aluminum alloy armor, forged, version F
- MIL DTL 46027, Armor plate, aluminum alloy, weldable 5083, 5456, &5059, version K
- MIL DTL 46063, Armor plate, aluminum alloy, 7039, version H(2)
- MIL DTL 46077, Armor plate, titanium alloy, weldable, version G
- MIL DTL 46083, Aluminum alloy armor, extruded, weldable, version D
Complete armored vehicle evaluations can be done here quickly and efficiently with vehicle sized chambers and our 24 foot wide by 100m firing range. Our drive in chambers can determine the vehicle’s reliability after environmental exposure and live fire testing.
DTB can also test your vehicle systems for electromagnetic performance. We provide total vehicle performance evaluations and can help you with design improvement recommendations.
Our state-of-the-art laboratory includes more than 125,000 square feet of environmentally controlled testing space, as well as two indoor ballistics test ranges.
Dayton T. Brown is a National Voluntary Laboratory Program (NVLAP) accredited, maintains a fully-documented calibration laboratory, which meets ISO10012-1, American National Standards Institute/National Conference of Standards Laboratories (ANSI/NCSL) Z540-1-1994, and is ISO 9001:2008 and AS9100 Revision B registered in accordance with the requirements of AS9104A.
DTB helps government agencies and large companies alike meet small business subcontracting goals by providing high-quality products and services. We also maintain a Defense Contract Management Agency (DCMA) approved Government Property System, as well as a Defense Logistics Agency/Defense Contract Management Command (DLA/DCMC) approved Purchasing System.
Armor Durability and Reliability
DTB can perform all Mil 810 G, ATPD 2352, NIJ 0101.06 and NIJ 0108 environmental and ballistic armor tests. No other private lab in the country can make this claim. Recent experience has shown that standardized tests are not always enough to ensure failure free operation of armor after exposure to repeated environmental and vibration or shock cycles.
DTB develops customized accelerated life test protocols to simulate worse case conditions for a variety of different types of armor. Whether the armor is metallic, polymeric or ceramic, we can derive an appropriate accelerated life test to simulate over a decade of field use.
Armament and Munitions Testing
Armament and Munitions Testing Services
DTB can help ensure that your payload is delivered accurately and reliably every time. Our Armament Systems Department has the responsibility for qualification, first article, production lot testing, and associated engineering support for mechanical and electrical armament and missile launching systems.
This type of testing includes:
- Bomb Rack Qualification Testing
- Missile Qualification Testing
- Flight Test Support
- Bomb Rack Cartridge Testing
- Small Arms Firing Range
- MIL-STD-2088* Testing — General Design Criteria for Aircraft Bomb Rack Unit (BRU)
- MIL-T-7743 Testing — General Specification for Store Suspension and Release Equipment Testing
- MIL-A-8591 Testing — General Design Criteria for Airborne Stores, Suspension Equipment and Aircraft Store Interface
*Dayton T. Brown, Inc. participated in the generation of military specification MIL-STD-2088A entitled “General Design Criteria for Aircraft Bomb Rack Unit (BRU)”. DTB provided insight regarding item operation and testing requirements as an expert in working with bomb racks for the tri-services.
The Armament Systems Department at Dayton T. Brown, Inc. has the responsibility for qualification, first article, production lot testing, and associated engineering support for mechanical and electrical armament and missile launching systems.
This type of testing includes environmental, dynamic, reliability, metallurgical, structural, and nondestructive work to specifications such as MIL-STD-810, MIL-T-7743, and all parent bomb rack military specifications.
Bomb Rack Testing
Dayton T. Brown, Inc has performed first article, production lot and qualification testing of bomb racks.
DTB has also performed qualification testing on newer state of the art designs including the Small Diameter Bomb Carriage as well as bomb racks/launchers for the F-22, JSF and MMA aircraft.
Required testing normally includes any tests noted in the item specifications, MIL-T-7743 and MIL-STD-810.
Bomb Rack Cartridge Testing
Dayton T. Brown, Inc. has performed impulse cartridge performance evaluations for the US Navy and Air Force.
DTB has designed and fabricated Universal Cartridge Test Apparatus (UCTA) Machines for outside entities.
We have delivered machines and supported installation for the US Air Force, as well as, for the Australian Air Force.
Missile Qualification Testing
Dayton T. Brown, Inc. has performed numerous Qualification and Safety of Flight Test Programs on several missile body designs including Harpoon, Tomahawk and new developmental designs.
Flight Test Support
DTB has the expertise for installing all types of transducers and recording equipment for aircraft flight testing.
The most recent test was conducted in Fort Worth, TX.
Numerous strain gauges and accelerometers were installed to acquire vibration and strain data on a Cheyenne aircraft nose gear door; similar work is routine for bomb rack work.